When you see the term SEO, what comes to mind?
In reality, Search Engine Optimization has many facets, and it can be approached from a multitude of different angles. Some businesses focus on paid advertising while others (by choice or necessity) use only organic marketing for their company. The best results, however, are gotten from a balanced mix of both tactics. But, whether you’re going paid or organic with your SEO techniques, there are specific methods that are sure to get you better results than other…
First, let’s go over the most common mistakes people make when trying to optimize their website for search engines.
The 5 Most Common SEO Mistakes
When designing and updated a website, people make multiple mistakes. Here are the most common to help put you on the right path:
- They forget about their readers. When you’re optimizing your website for search engines is essential, but at the end of the day, your content and site as a whole needs to be easy to navigate for your human readers. Your content needs to offer real value rather than focusing on being rank worthy.
- They use too many keywords. Again, your website isn’t going to be that valuable for readers if you’re just stuffing keywords unnaturally into your content. Likewise, Google will also penalize you for doing so.
- They don’t focus on relevancy. Don’t just jump around from one hot topic to the next. Your content needs to be relevant to your website and your viewers, and you shouldn’t be bringing up old news without a current spin.
- They don’t think about the long-term. That intriguing article on today’s biggest headline might be relevant, but it will be outdated in just a couple short weeks. Focus on evergreen content that will continue to be searched, read, and shared.
- They don’t do their research. You can list up 100 great keywords that seem like they would be a perfect fit for your website, but if you haven’t done the analyzing and research to see if that’s really what your ideal customer is searching for, you’re not going to get far.
Getting Started With Website Optimization
With the above mistakes in mind, you can begin your search engine optimization process, which typically consists of the following steps:
- Find the right keywords. Do your research, don’t just guess.
- Identify your target audience. Don’t be too broad, narrow it down as much as possible for the best results.
- Publish relevant content, regularly. Have a blog and keep it updated on a weekly basis with exciting content your ideal customer wants to engage with.
- Use keywords naturally. Don’t stuff your website with keywords or try to use one where it doesn’t typically fit, just organically incorporate them.
- Use paid advertising sparingly. Paid advertising is not a replacement for quality SEO. Once you have your quality, natural SEO in place, it can be beneficial to the right planning.