Let's get into a quick Q&A with Google using a 2017 Google Webmaster video for answers. The following is intended for those looking to hire an SEO company.
What is an SEO company hiring tip?
“Request that they corraborate their recommendations with a documented statement from Google either in a help center article, video, or Googler response in a forum, that supports BOTH:
- The SEO’s description of the issue that needs to be improved to help with ranking
- The approach the prescribe to accomplish this task”
Author Note: Yes and yes! We firmly believe in referencing Google for what great SEO services can provide a client. Even if it is not requested by our client, we still use these best practices anyway. Checkout another of my articles after your done here for more of what Google says to do.
What is the recommended SEO hiring process?
“1. Conduct a two-way interview with your potential SEO. Check that they seem genuinely interested in you and your business.
2. Check their references.
3. Ask for (and you’ll probably have to pay for) a technical and search audit.
4. Decide if you want to hire.”
What questions do I need to prepare answers for the interview?
“1. What makes your business, content, and/or service unique and therefore valuable to customers?
2. What does your common customer look like? How do they currently find your site?
3. How does your business make money? And how can search help?
4. What other channels are you using? Offline advertising? Social networks?
5. Who are your competitors? What do they do well online (and potentially offline)?”
What should an SEO audit include?
“1. The issue
2. The suggested improvement
3. An estimate on the overall investment. In other words, the time, energy or money it would take for your developers to implement the improvement as well as Google Search as well as searchers and customers to recognize the improvement.”
4. Estimated postive business impact
5. Plan of how to iterate and improve on the implementation or how to experiment and fail fast should results not meet expectations”
Creative Boro SEO Audit Request:
How long does it take for SEO to start working?
“In most cases, SEOs need four months to a year to help your business implement improvements and see potential benefit.”
Author Note: When paying for a monthly service, you should multiply that amount by no less than 12 to know if you can afford an SEO company. Plus, when things are improving, and should you want to continue, that rate should be sustainable for years to come. Year over year, potential customers and clients are increasingly using search to find businesses like yours. Keep at it.